katewritesandreads

katewritesandreads

Monday 9 June 2014

Calendar girl


My desk calendar at work for 2013 had a different motto for every day of the year; some, I thought, made good advice for writers:


Don’t wait for your ship to come in; swim out to it.

You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust your sails.





(Image courtesy of Tim Seed / FreeDigitalPhotos.net)



Goals are dreams with deadlines.

Don’t think you are on the right road just because it’s a well-beaten path.

By the time a man finds greener pastures he can’t climb the fence.

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday.






(Image courtesy of Arvind Balaraman / FreeDigitalPhotos.net)



 Don’t let yesterday use up too much of today

Do what you can with what you’ve got, wherever you are.

When patterns are broken, new worlds emerge.



(Image courtesy of Oana Roxana Birtea / FreeDigitalPhotos.net)

Thanks to Helena Fairfax for alerting me to http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/ from where these pictures came.

Do you have a favourite motto?

3 comments:

  1. Stationary stationery reaches no editors is an aphorism I made up for a competition. It won me £1 which rather shows my age! Anne Stenhouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant - and a good way of remembering which statione/ary is which!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sayings and haven't come across these before. I've collected quotes for years so I have loads of favourites. This is worth a reminder perhaps: 'The dictionary is the only place where you'll find success before work' - how true!

    ReplyDelete